Jasper is a relatively common microcrystalline variety of quartz in the Chalcedony family, occurring in many varieties and colors.
Some Common Varieties of Jasper are:
- Black Jasper
- Dalmation Jasper
- Green Jasper
- Leopard-Skin Jasper
- Ocean Jasper
Most varieties of Jasper take their names from their appearance and colors. Dalmatian Jasper, for example, is white with regular brown and black spotting. Locations of the discovery of the Jasper are another way varieties find their name.
If you believe in the healing powers of gemstones and crystals, as many people do, you may be interested to learn that each variety of Jasper has specific healing qualities. Because they are relatively common, Jasper’s price point is very reasonable. Thus it is a great gift or starter stone for those interested in the benefits derived from healing stones and crystals.
The History of Jasper
Jasper is considered a gemstone and has been since ancient times. It is referenced in Hebrew, Greek, Latin, and Assyrian literature and named a mystical birthstone for October. Mystical birthstones are of Tibetan origin, dating back thousands of years.
Ancient legends say that Jasper can drive away evil spirits and protect an individual from snakes and spider bites. In the fourth century, records suggest people believed Jasper brought rain.
The Healing Properties of Jasper
Based on ancient history, its unsurprising that many people still believe in the healing properties of Jasper. While different varieties are associated with different chakras and specific healing properties, we know Jasper overall as the supreme nurturer. It can sustain a person through tumultuous times, and bring about feelings of wholeness and peace. It can absorb negative energies, protecting a person from doing so. By balancing an individual’s yin and yang energies, Jasper promotes honesty with one’s self. Jasper also gives an individual the courage to face problems and promote organization and wit. It can transform your ideas into meaningful action and improve your imagination. Jasper is a meaningful gift for those with chronic illnesses, as it offers support and energy to the body.
Atlas Mountain Jasper
Like all Jasper varieties, Atlas Mountain Jasper has its own healing properties in addition to the general properties. Discovered in the High Atlas Mountains of Morocco, and named for the region, this variety of Jasper is known to:
- Contain beautiful shades of red, brown, and yellow and resemble landscapes
- Protect the soul
- Neutralize radiation and other pollution
- Nurture the emotions and calm the nerves
- Heal symptoms of the digestive tract including bloating
- Encourage cell turn over and regeneration
- Heal the Solar Plexus chakra
Meditating with Jasper
One of the best ways to reap the benefits of Jasper, and all healing stones, is to practice meditation with them.
- Hold your Jasper in your palm as you sit or lay quietly and close your eyes and find stillness. Alternatively, you can place your Atlas Mountain Jasper on your Solar Plexus Chakra, about three inches above your belly button.
- Start by focusing on your breath without attempting to change it. If your mind drifts, simply notice your thought and direct your attention back to your breath. It is not uncommon to suddenly feel an itch or the strong desire to move your limbs, but again, name the desire or sensation and direct your attention back to your breath. Resist the temptation to become frustrated, and remember that meditation is like yoga. It is a practice, not something to be perfected.
- Next, scan your body. Try to focus on any sensation you feel in each part of your body and then direct your attention to the sensation of your Jasper stone on your body. If it helps, repeat this mantra to yourself, “I have the strength and energy to heal my body and soul.”
- Take rest here, and stay as long as you need. If you drift off to sleep, that’s ok. Come back to this place often for the most healing.
Whaler’s Locker has a beautiful selection of Jasper from which to choose and bring about healing and nurturing to your heart and soul. Gift Jasper to a loved one who you wish to comfort and help heal. When you shop with Whaler’s Locker, you get the exact stone that you see in our pictures and descriptions.